Dredge (and Rainey) Report, October 27, 2011

Thursday, October 27

As the day dawned, a thick fog bank rolled in. Timmy needed to work on the pump house, and since he spends so much time helping me, I stayed to make his job go faster. There had been no construction instructions with the buildings, and 2 of the walls were mistakenly swapped so the siding didn’t overlap properly. Timmy wanted to swap the siding around and put in a window.

Figure 21. Working in the fog

Figure 21. Working in the fog

We took the siding off the south side, and while Timmy framed up the window I took the siding off the north side. The sheeting from the northwest side was swapped with the sheeting from the southeast side to overlap correctly. As the fog lifted, it got hot, and the mosquitoes were horrible.

Timmy got the window put in and sealed, we reattached the siding, and installed the corner trim. The outside of the building is almost complete.

We took a break to eat lunch and hydrate, and headed to dredge. The pump was primed and pumping at 1:30, and Timmy did all the dredging. I did some housekeeping (minor repairs and adjustments), controlled the side to side swing, kept the water pump fueled up and switched spuds at the end of each swing.

Timmy kept an eye on the white float we have tied to the hose. It sinks as the density of the fluid in the hose increases with mud, so is a way to estimate dredging efficiency.

Around 4:30, I took the flat over to the bank and fought mosquitoes to get the canoe out for pictures while the pump was working.

The water level had risen over night for a pond level of -4 inches ML. I checked Cell 5 first and took pictures of the discharge and flow. The fluid mud was at an inch above marsh level (it covered the green mark on the poles), was flowing over containment 5a, and was observed in the marsh grass bordering the cell.

Figure 22. Cell 5 showing effluent and fluid mud pouring over containment 5a.

Figure 23. The outfall with mud up to the top of the green mark on the pole and delta another inch above that.

Figure 23. The outfall with mud up to the top of the green mark on the pole and delta another inch above that.

With the waterlevel up 4 inches, the substrate in Cell 4 was again under water except for the delta around the previous outfall. The overflow from Cell 5 is still flowing into Cell 4 through containment 5b. Next week, I plan to start placing containment to separate Cell 4 from the rest of the site so we can focus on filling it.

Figure 24. Cell 4 view to the northwest, showing a water level 4 inches higher than Tuesday, the delta from a previous outfall and the containment at Cell 1.

Figure 24. Cell 4 view to the northwest, showing a water level 4 inches higher than Tuesday, the delta from a previous outfall and the containment at Cell 1.

We closed down the dredge after dredging for 4 hours and made it back to camp by 5:45.

This entry was posted in Dredge Reports, Marsh Restoration, The Paul J. Rainey Wildlife Sanctuary. Bookmark the permalink.