Dredge (and Rainey) Report, August 2, 2011

Tuesday, August 2

Met Timmy at the Dehart’s Shipyard in Abbeville, LA at 8:30am. I was surprised to see the Goose ready to go on its trailer. I was sure it would take longer than a week to get the bottom sandblasted, repainted, and other repairs made. Timmy rode with Karen over to the Sportsman to take possession of Audubon’s new 17.5-ft center console boat. Since Timmy’s truck was needed to pull the Goose, Karen’s Subaru pulled the new boat. We hauled both boats down to the marina at Intracoastal City to launch them, parked the trailers around the corner, then played leap frog with 3 boats to load the Goose, pull the flat out of the way and get the new boat going. Karen drove the new boat to follow Timmy in the Goose over to fuel them both up. Then it was off to the races heading back to Headquarters.

The 75 hp motor on the new boat can make it jump. Everything is tight, being new, so it handled rather stiffly, but I punched it up to 40mph to see how it ran, and almost left myself behind! We made it to the headquarters safely and unloaded the Goose. Timmy drove the new boat back to the marina to pick up the flat boat, then Karen followed Timmy again back to headquarters. The new boat has 3 comfy seats in the rear, and a live well that can be used as a seat in front of the console. Any more people than that will have to stand next to the console or sit up front for a bumpy ride.

New boat attached to Karen’s Subaru.

The Blue Goose, barnacle free and new bottom paint(Left). New Boat! New Boat! New Boat! WEEEEE! (right)

By the time all of the boats were back at the camp, it was 11:00 and weather started building. We watched the radar with small pop up showers around White Lake that stretched over to Freshwater Bayou and drizzled on us. By the time the threat dissipated, the heat returned. Timmy needed to go to the Goose Pond so we took the new boat to run it some more, and so Karen could get used to how it handled. We also patrolled a few canals while we were out.

No dredging today.

This entry was posted in Dredge Reports, Marsh Restoration, The Paul J. Rainey Wildlife Sanctuary. Bookmark the permalink.