Dredge Report, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 21, 2011

After breakfast, we pulled the 2x4s onto the Blue Goose rails and cut them into 4 ft lengths. While loading everything back onto the boat, a couple of Sagrero neighbors on their way to their property on the cheniers stopped by to chat. By the time they left, rain clouds were forming, so I moved all waiting construction parts under the eaves and finished loading the boat. Unfortunately, thunder began at 9:30 am before we could untie the boat and rain closed in.

Around 11:30 the skies appeared to clear so we took the loaded Goose and headed to the site, but it rained in the canal on the way and came down even worse at the dredge. Karen got drenched tying up the boat and then we just sat and waited. With a new fly swatter we made a game of killing horseflies while we waited for it to clear. Timmy won.

Loaded Goose at the experimental site landing(Left). Timmy watching rain clouds to our south(Right).

When it finally let up, we emptied the rainwater out of the canoe and took it out into the pond. We went first to Cell 5 where we could see the extended area filled above the water level and planned what needed to be done with the discharge. The sediment was still escaping through the containment even with the plywood patch. Cell 4 has a headstart on being filled with the amount of sediment already in place. The canoe was then paddled to the sticks placed by LSU indicating where they wanted the outer containment to be for Cell #1, and we strung line across the opening. Thunder sounded as we tied the last knot, so we quickly paddled back to the walkway dock and headed back to headquarters.

Cell #5 showing the fill above water level.

The rain cloud stayed over the dredge site all afternoon, while it was sunny at the camp. I watched the radar constantly hoping to see the rain cloud move off, but it just sat there like a big amoeba, changing shape and size but not location. I sat on the deck in the sun watching the cloud morph but not move. It’s somewhat frustrating not being able to work because of weather somewhere else. (…write up notes and data, lunch, nap, movie, read…got to come up with something else to do…).

At 5:00pm as the air cooled off, the cloud dissipated, so we headed to the site, loaded up the airboat with half the materials and ran around the pond to the LSU stake marking the north end of the outer containment for Cell #1 (see figure on page 8).

Working out of the airboat, the 2-ft wide plywood was shoved into the mud about 6 inches, with about 6 inches above the water level (about 4 inches above marsh level). We used our string to help keep us more or less on a straight line. 4 ft long 2x4s were shoved into the mud until level with the plywood, roughly 2.5 feet deep in the substrate. We used a maul to tap the lumber level if necessary. The plywood was screwed to the 2x4s overlapping the ends. Timmy was a master at moving the airboat along for each section, and Karen would use a long 2×4 to lever the boat over a few inches if necessary so that we could reach the barrier to put in screws. Timmy handled the north and middle end of each section and Karen had the south end. We made two trips and ran out of material, so measured for the remaining section and headed to headquarters at 7:30pm.

Timmy securing his end of the plywood(Left). The partially completed “wall”(Right).

Late afternoon/evening return airboat ride.

 

 

This entry was posted in Dredge Reports, Marsh Restoration, The Paul J. Rainey Wildlife Sanctuary. Bookmark the permalink.