Dredge Report, June 10, 2011

Dredge Start in Cell 5

Summary of accomplishments:

  • Hose has been assembled at the Experimental Site
  • Containment was completed for cell 5.
  • Dredging has commenced at new area.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Another fantabulous morning dawned overcast and humid. We were onsite at 7:05 am. Timmy dropped me at the dredge to get everything started while he ran down to the test site to knock the grass and weeds down. I got everything hooked up and the mud pump primed on the first try. Unfortunately, I could not get the water pump started and had to wait for Timmy to return.

Got the pump going, finally, at 7:55 and pumped for 3 hours straight with no problems. Timmy and I took turns running the dredge. Timmy did lawn maintenance, and then took the canoe out to observe the receiving pond while I dredged. Then he dredged, and I took the canoe into Cell 5 for some in depth observations and photo documentation.

The discharge was secured in the center of Cell 5 aimed toward a marsh edge across from containment 5b. Containment 5b appeared to be functioning well, with some cloudy water on the pond side (to the right in the following photo) but most within the cell.

Looking east from containment 5b at new discharge (Left). Looking south over containment 5b (Right).

I took the canoe into the cell for a closer look. The effluent was flowing easily from the hose/float arrangement and was circulating well within the cell, although it had not made it up into the inlet you see at the top of the photo on the left. After 5 hours of pumping, quite a bit of material had settled within a 15 foot area around the discharge. Using the paddle, I probed the depth and found that I could easily pull loose silt to the surface from a layer roughly 6-8 inches deep. A dark gray plume was slowly rolling across the cell, forming various flow patterns around obstacles and over the submerged aquatics.

This next week, we will pull the discharge over to aim it into the small inlet to see if we can get material to build up there. We are at the full length of our available hose, and if we can’t get material into the farthest reaches, more hose will be needed.

Close look at discharge (Left). Silt being pulled up by paddle (Right).

Sediment plume wrapping around marker.

 

Stirring up thick mud.

This figure shows the layout of the experimental cells. North is to the top. Cell 5 containment at 5a and 5b is complete, and the 4s will be next.

 

This entry was posted in Dredge Reports, Marsh Restoration, The Paul J. Rainey Wildlife Sanctuary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.